Borden's is a historic hotel located in downtown Whitehall, Montana, that has been converted to nine apartments unites on the second floor. Tow of the unites are rented as VRBO's. The location is perfectly located around restaurants, bars, the Star Theater, Whitehall Community Center and downtown shops.
Newlyweds Lot and Hilda Borden arrived in Whitehall early in 1900. At first, Lot ran a saloon and Hilda a cafe. In 1913, Bordens expanded their business to create a billiard hall, saloon, and second-floor dance hall. Situated along the old highway and the Northern Pacific Railroad, Bordens was a hub for tourists. Loyal patrons, railroad workers, persuaded the Bordens to convert the dance hall to hotel rooms in 1916. The Bordens soon expanded, adding a one-story lobby and restaurant in 1919. During Prohibition, the saloon became a commercial storefront housing the Golden Rule, the telephone exchange, and other enterprises. Upon Lot’s death in 1922, Hilda ran both the hotel and restaurant. In 1929, she commissioned Bozeman architect, Fred Wilson, to design attached Craftsman style residence. With the repeal of Prohibition in 1933, Hilda obtained the town’s first beer license and the Modern Hotel became the Borden Hotel. Business was so brisk that in 1941 Fred Wilson designed a second-story addition, adding nine hotel rooms. The crisp stepped parapet architecturally melds the older and newer portions. Although tourism declined after the construction of Interstate 90 in 1961, Hilda continued in business until her death at 91 in 1971.